The Advancing After School program runs from 3:00-6:30 p.m. This program focuses on academic enrichment by offering homework assistance, tutoring services when necessary (Reading & Mathematics), academic enrichment and choice time. The students receive a nutritious snack daily.
In an effort to assist each child in developing his/her greatest human potential, we focus on character building, respect for self and others, responsibility to family, school, community, our city, country, the world and the universe. The result will be, an enhancement of human thinking and attitudes in each participant.
Y.O.U.R. Community Center and its’ staff are committed to maximizing after school safety and to creating a positive learning environment that teaches strategies for violence prevention and emphasizes high expectations for student conduct, responsible behavior, and respect for others.
A limited number of scholarships are available, but parents/caregivers must complete a registration form and attend a few educational parent engagement events and performances that will take place throughout the year.
The following requisites also apply for scholarship recipients:
- The program is available to scholars in grades 3rd-5th at Garfield, K-8th at YOUR, and 2nd-8th at WEC.
- Students registered for our program at Garfield and WEC must also be registered for aftercare through DCPS.
- Participants at the YOUR site must also pay a $75.00 registration fee.
- Parents/Guardians must provide consent for YOUR to obtain students’ grades and test scores.
- Students must attend on a regular basis, which includes daily attendance as well as consistently remaining in aftercare until enrichment is over.